Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Are You Scared?

Over the years, I have been asked many times “Doesn’t it make you nervous” or “Are you scared for him when he fights?”  My answer is always “No.”  It's a reasonable question.  Many are surprised by my reply. One would think that the sight of a loved one in physical combat with another person will immediately and severely invoke anxiety or fear.  

I am not scared for him. Why?  Since he started training and competing eleven years ago, I have developed knowledge of the sport, I have become a fan.  I KNOW what I’m seeing in the ring, and sometimes know what going to happen (or should happen) next!  I have my favorite fighters in the nationally and internationally televised promotions.  And of course, being that he’s a Pro now, I want to help him get that kind of opportunity.  He works hard at his craft.  And above all others, I’m his biggest fan.

He hasn't been knocked out, he has hardly been bloodied. He's been submitted, but is always smart enough to tap out. Except that one time... he got a broken elbow because he thought he could muscle out of the armbar.  It didn't work.  He learned and got better!  A partner should always be learning about fighting. Being able to notice improvement and refinement in his or her technique. (By no means would I give suggestions, though I will share what I observe.  I don't spar with him. LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment